Physical Education Higher
Pupils will study the mental, emotional, social and physical factors that impact on personal performance in physical activities. Pupils will develop and enhance their movement and performance skills in a range of physical activities.
All pupils who choose to take Higher PE will be expected to:
• Take an active part in every lesson, irrespective of the physical activity
• Be prepared to work complete weekly written work in class and as homework
• Be prepared to perform in front of others and give and receive feedback on performance
Factors Impacting on Performance
• Pupils develop knowledge and understanding of mental, emotional, social and physical factors that impact on personal performance in physical activities
• Pupils collect information on performance and consider how these factors can influence the effectiveness in performance
• Pupils develop knowledge and understanding of a range of approaches for enhancing performance. Pupils select and apply these approaches to factors that impact on personal performance
• Pupils create and implement Personal Development Plans (PDPs), modify these, and justify decisions relating to future personal development needs
• Pupils develop their ability to demonstrate a broad and comprehensive range of complex movement and performance skills through a range of physical activities
• Pupils select, demonstrate, apply and adapt these skills, and use them to make informed decisions
• Pupils develop consistency, precision, control and fluency of movement
The course assessment has two components:
|Component 1 -
|50||50% of overall grade||2 hours 30 minutes|
|Component 2 -
|60||50% of overall grade|
The grade is awarded based on the total marks achieved across all course assessment components.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for pupils who have an interest in developing complex movement and performance skills. It is particularly appropriate for pupils who would like to enhance their performance and develop a deeper understanding of factors that impact on personal performance.
Pupils considering studying Higher PE would preferably have completed National 5 PE (A or B pass.)
S6 pupils who are considering studying Higher PE but have not attained a National 5 PE course should have National 5 English (A pass) or Higher English.
It is recommended that Higher PE pupils are regularly participating in competitive sport out with school.
• Advanced Higher Physical Education Course (if numbers allow)
• Other qualifications in Physical Education related areas. For example, Community Sports Leader Award, Exercise and Fitness Leadership
• Further study, employment and/or training